Wednesday 14 September 2011

My hair!!

Before I started wearing the hijab, I used to get my hair done, pretty nicely, had weaves and braids on, was a hair diva, somewhat. And now, well my hair is all tied up. :)
The remember the first time my friend showed me this hadith years ago, saying that the Prophet SAW put a curse on any woman that put false hair or lashes and the one that fixes it for her, I thought "ha'an thats a bit harsh" subhanAllah, may Allah forgive me for that,I really wasn't ready for it, so I made myself "unknow" that hadith, I mean whats the big deal??
I didn't understand it till I started wearing the hijab. And more, recently when a sister asked how do we then stop making our hair? I offered, tie your hair in a scarf, it my not be a hijab but its on the way to one inshaAllah.
Fixing your hair has a lot of perks, it makes u feel good for a moment, thats if it doesn't hurt but also has its downsides, it costs money, and these days more and more money is poured down the drain to make ourselves look "pretty", as student, Allah knows I need that extra cash in my pocket so yes am glad am done with that business and most importantly it encourages vanity. I was sitting with a coursemate one time and she was talking about how she needs to get her hair done, and how prices have gone up because of human/Brazilian hair(that is an entire topic on it own!), and how you had to get a fairly good grade of hair ( at that moment I was really glad I was done) and in the end she said you know all this is vanity, vanity upon vanity, I smiled.
Its that vanity that makes us "forget" to cover our hair, or makes the head cover "fall off accidentally" that makes it impossible to wear the hijab/khimar. I mean why make your hair with all that money when you can't show it off right???...
The hijab humbles you, and saves money too, but most especially humbling. Then thing I like about weavons was that my hair was covered and it could grow, the hijab offers me that. When I started with the hijab, I announced to friends I shall not be making my hair anymore, they didn't see why but when it seemed that the hijab was here to stay, they understood the financial reason, covering hair, no point. Also there is no place in Islam for vanity and pride, "a person will not enter paradise if he had even an iota of pride" may Allah save us. But I chose not to make my hair simply coz its haram and I refuse to be one of those women.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment